Pembela & ACCIN are umbrella groups leading the coalition of 77 Islamic NGOs in Malaysia.
Pembela & ACCIN have announced their Election 2008 DEMANDS on the MyIslamNetwork website, entitled: "MALAYSIA’S 12TH GENERAL ELECTION: ISLAMIC NGOs ELECTION DEMANDS."
Read HERE full demands of the 77 Islamic NGOs (see list of names of the NGOs below)
We say emphatically,
ALL Malaysian political parties, in particular PAS and PKR , should stay absolutely clear from the divisive "Taliban-like" demands made by these narrow-visioned 77 Islamic NGOs.Excerpts : From the "MALAYSIA’S 12TH GENERAL ELECTION: ISLAMIC NGOs ELECTION DEMANDS". Read here for more
Many of these demands being pressured on politicians and political parties are dangerously divisive. They do not foster better religious understanding and harmony in Malaysia's multi-religious society.
These demands are exploitative in nature and in many of them are simply self-serving.
The Islamic NGOs which had signed up to these demands should not aggravate the already uncomfortable climate the country was recently in on religious issues faced by Muslims and non-Muslims alike.
Those who have endorsed these demands are seen as attempting to drive their agenda of making Malaysia into a "Taliban-version" of Malaysia, that is, Malaysia as a potential "Afghanistan of Asean."
It should be a non-negotiable point that ALL NON-Muslim voters and those fair-minded Muslim voters should NOT give their votes to ANY candidate in their respective constituencies or to any political party in BARISAN NASIONAL or in the Opposition who have publicly supported the Islamic NGOs' demands.
Following are some of the demands of the 77 Islamic NGOs:
- Special Constitutional Position of Islam
• Assert the significant role of Islam in the state and rejects the notion of Malaysia as a secular state.
• Defend and strengthen the position and jurisdiction of Syariah Courts under Article 121(1A) of the Federal Constitution.
• Legislate laws controlling the propagation of non-Muslim religions among the Muslims in Sabah, Sarawak, Perlis, Pulau Pinang and Federal Territories as provided by Article 11(4) of the Federal Constitution.
• PROSECUTE those who cause religious disharmony, especially by making offensive remarks against Islam, under Section 298A of the Penal Code.
- Islamic Education and Da’wah
• Increase the learning period of Islamic subjects in national primary and secondary schools.
• Re-instate and increase the per-capita aid to People’s Religious Schools (Sekolah Agama Rakyat, SAR) and provide free textbooks to students of these schools.
• Re-introduce the teaching of Mathematics and Science in Malay at national schools.
• Increase the number of recipients of the Public Service Department’s scholarship award to Muslim students to further their studies abroad.
• The Ministry of Education to continue encouraging Islamic practices in schools.
• Provide special allocation to Islamic NGOs to carry out Islamic educational activities.
• The Ministry of Information to be sensitive toward the feelings of Muslim majority in devising broadcast policies;
-- prioritize television programs that contribute to the development of a moral society;
--increase the number of Islamic education programs; and
--stop airing entertainment programs that promote hedonistic culture.
- Good Governance
• Foster the internalization of Islamic values among civil servants.
• Appoint senators among the leaders Islamic NGOs to oversee the implementation of Islamic policies and promote the welfare of Muslims.
Inter-Ethnic and Inter-Religious Relations
• REJECT political parties and politicians who disregard special position of Islam in Malaysia and those who advocate the secular understanding of absolute religious freedom.
• Form a special committee comprising the representatives of Muslim organizations and local authorities to deliberate on applications to build non-Muslim houses of worship in Muslim-majority residential area.
- Islamic Faith and Morals
• REJECT the notion of religious pluralism which claims that all religions are the same.
• REJECT the use of specific Islamic terms like “Allah”, “Ka’abah”,”Baitullah” and “Solat” to refer to certain dissimilar concepts in non-Muslim religions.
• INCREASE the number of religious enforcement officers and their level of professionalism.
The list of names of the Islamic NGOs which had endorsed the above demands:
*PERTUBUHAN-PERTUBUHAN PEMBELA ISLAM (PEMBELA)
*ALLIED COORDINATING COMMITTEE OF ISLAMIC NGOs (ACCIN)
*AL-ISLAH, BANDAR BARU SUNGAI BULOH
*ALUMNI KOLEJ ISLAM KELANG (ALKIS)
*ANGKATAN BELIA ISLAM MALAYSIA (ABIM)
*BADAN NADWAH ISLAMIAH PAHANG
*BADAN UGAMA, KEBAJIKAN MARA
*FORUM BERTINDAK ANTI MURTAD
*FUTURE GLOBAL NETWORK (FGN)
*FORUM PENYELARASAN UMAT [15 NGO GABUNGAN PULAU PINANG]
*GABUNGAN MAHASISWA ISLAM SEMENANJUNG (GAMIS)
* IKATAN INTELEKTUAL MUDA ISLAM (IIMI)
*IKATAN MUSLIM MALAYSIA (ISMA)
*IKATAN PENGKAJIAN ISLAM PAHANG (IKATAN)
*INTERNATIONAL MUSLIM IMAN NETWORK (IMAN)
*MUSLIM WOMEN UNION (IMWU)
*ISLAMIC INFORMATION AND SERVICES FOUNDATION (IIS)
*ISLAMIC OUTREACH ABIM (IOA)
*ISLAMIC PROPAGATION SOCIETY INTERNATIONAL, PENANG (IPSI)
*JAMAAH DAKWA ISLAH (JADID)
*JAMAAH ISLAH MALAYSIA (JIM)
*JARINGAN SISWAZAH MUSLIM MALAYSIA (JASA)
*KELAB AL-QURAN AL-KARIM, BANGI
*KELAB HARAPAN, YAYASAN HARAPAN
*KELAB REMAJA ISLAH MALAYSIA (KARISMA)
*KESATUAN PELAJAR ISLAM JOHOR (KPIJ)
*KESATUAN PELAJAR ISLAM PERAK (KPIP)
*KEPENTINGAN BANGSA (KKB)
*MADRASAH HIDAYATUL MUSTAQIM, SELAYANG BARU
*MAJLIS TINDAKAN INDIA MUSLIM MALAYSIA
*MARKAZ DAKWAH AL-ISLAMIAH AL-ANSAR, KUALA SELANGOR
*MASJID BUKIT INDAH
*MASJID JAMEK PAKISTAN
*MUSLIM BROTHERS, SHAH ALAM
*MUSLIM PROFESIONAL FORUM BERHAD (MPF)
*NGO ISLAM CASMARIA, BATU CAVES
*PEGUAM PEMBELA ISLAM (PPI)
*PERSATUAN DARUL FITRAH MALAYSIA
*PERSATUAN FALAK SYARIE MALAYSIA
*PERSATUAN KEBAJIKAN ISLAM MALAYSIA (PERKIM BANGSAR)
*PERSATUAN KEBAJIKAN PEKERJA ISLAM, TNB (PKPI-TNB)
*PERSATUAN KEBAJIKAN PELAJAR ISLAM SARAWAK (PERKEPIS)
*PERSATUAN KEBAJIKAN PELAJAR ISLAM W.P (PERTIWI)
*PERSATUAN KEBANGSAAN PELAJAR ISLAM MALAYSIA (PKPIM)
*PERSATUAN MAHASISWA AKADEMI PENGAJIAN ISLAM UNI. MALAYA
*PERSATUAN MAHASISWA ISLAM UNIVERSITI MALAYA (PMIUM)
*PERSATUAN PEGUAM MUSLIM MALAYSIA
*PERSATUAN PEGUAM SYARIE MALAYSIA (PGSM)
*PERSATUAN PELAJAR ISLAM KELANTAN (PPIK)
*PERSATUAN PEMBIMBING ISLAM PUALAU PINANG (PEMBIMBING)
*PERSATUAN PEMBIMBING PELAJAR ISLAM KELANTAN (PPIK)
*PERSATUAN PENDIDIK INSAN NEGERI SEMBILAN (PPINS)
*PERSATUAN PENDUDUK PENDUDUK KAMPUNG BATU MUDA TAMBAHAN
*PERSATUAN PENGUSAHA RESTORAN MUSLIM MALAYSIA (PRESMA)
*PERSATUAN SERUAN ISLAM SELANGOR DAN WP (JAMI’YAH)
*PERSATUAN ULAMA ISLAM (PUM)
*PERTUBUHAN CINA MUSLIM MALAYSIA (MACMA)
*PERTUBUHAN KEBAJIKAN; DAKWAH ISLAMIAH MALAYSIA (PEKIDA)
*PERTUBUHAN MUAFAKAT SEJAHTERA MASYARAKAT MALAYSIA (MUAFAKAT)
*PERTUBUHAN SINAR DAMSYIK MALAYSIA (PSDM)
*RESEARCH & INFORMATION CENTER ON ISLAM (RICOI)
*SURAU AL-AMIN, BANDAR TUN HUSSIEN ONN
*SURAU AL-ANSAR, TAMAN SRI RAMPAI, SETAPAK
*SURAU AL-IKHWAN BANDAR BARU SUNGAI BULOH
*SURAU MUHAMMAD AL-FATIH KG BATU MUDA TAMBAHAN, KL
*TERAS PENGUPAYAAN MELAYU (TERAS)
*WADAH PENCERDASAN UMAT (WADAH)
*YAYASAN BASMI KEMISKINAN (YBK)
*KAJIAN & STRATEGIK MELATU (YKSM)
*YAYASAN PEMBANGUNAN UMMAH (YPU).