Read here for more
- Kuala Trengganu By-Election on 17 January 2009: PAS Should Be REJECTED for its Arrogance in Pakatan Rakyat
- PAS : An Unreliable Partner With Loose Cannon Leaders
- PAS's True Colours: An UNRELIABLE Team Player and a DISHONEST Partner
- PAS Youth's Thuggery to Deny the Freedom of Muslim Youths in Malaysia
- PAS: A Prickly Thorn in Pakatan Rakyat's Side
- WHY "Religion" and "God" Should be Removed from the Federal Constitution and Rukunegara
DAP chairman Karpal Singh said that PAS's intention to implement hudud laws did NOT consider the political reality in the country.
Datuk Nik Abdul Aziz Nik Mat asked for reasons why DAP are objecting to the move.
Karpal Singh lists the following reasons:
- "To start off, the Federal Constitution does not provide for an Islamic state from which introduction of Islamic criminal laws like hudud could follow."
- “Next, PAS cannot afford to ignore the five-man unanimous decision of the Supreme Court, the highest court in the land, in 1988 that the country was not an Islamic state but a secular state. It was Tun Salleh Abbas, who was at one time a PAS state exco member in Terengganu, who headed the five-man panel of the Supreme Court that had made that judicial pronouncement."
- “The Federal Constitution is a sacred document which must be accepted and respected by everyone, including PAS. Its leaders, including Nik Aziz, should NOT defy and continuously be in contempt of it when insisting on the implementation of hudud laws in the country.
- “It is wrong for PAS, for political expediency, to crave what is clearly AGAINST national interests."
He reminded PAS that threatening to go ahead with its plan (on huddud laws) would be counter-productive to PAS's own interests.