Excerpts: Read here for more
If I were advising (ex-Perlis Mufti) Dr Mohd Asri Zainul Abidin, I would advise him to SUE their (PGSM) proverbial kain pelikat off!
Yes. I am talking about the Persatuan Peguam Syarie Malaysia or Malaysian Syariah Lawyers Association (PGSM).
I will not repeat what was said in the (PGSM) memorandum.
Suffice if I were to say that the contents are vicious enough to make a multi-million dollar defamation suit by Dr Asri a very viable exercise.
Malaysia Today cited a report in The Star this morning saying that PGSM has apologised to Dr Asri, the former Mufti of Perlis over the contents of the memorandum sent by the former to His Royal Highness the Yang di Pertuan Agong recently. This is also confirmed by a MalaysiaKini report.
PGSM is the self proclaimed defender of the faith. Whenever there are people or party whom they disagree with on matters pertaining to Islam, they would be the first to shout and scream.
- On the Kartika issue, they were so loud in condemning Sisters In Islam, Joint Action Group for Gender Equality and WAO. They had a protest against these NGOs. They also lodged a police report against the organisations.
- When these NGOs called for a review of Syariah Criminal offences, they issued a memorandum (they just love memorandums, don't they?) imploring the government to prosecute these organisations. Why not? After all, those orgainsations are unIslamic. They on the other hand are the protectors and defenders of the faith.
I am now waiting to see whether PGSM would lodge a police report against itself for acting against Islamic teachings. Or perhaps they would prepare and publish a memorandum against themselves.
Don't they know what the Prophet - peace be upon him - said about telling lies and liars?
Well, here it is:
Narrated Abu Huraira: Allah's Apostle said, "The signs of a hypocrite are three: (1) whenever he speaks, he tells a lie, (2) whenever he is entrusted, he proves to be dishonest, (3) whenever he promises, he breaks his promise" (Sahih Bukhari)Questions for JAIS (Selangor Islamic Religious Department
"Narrated Anas: The Prophet was asked about the great sins He said, "They are:-- (1 ) To join others in worship with Allah, (2) To be undutiful to one's parents. (3) To kill a person (which Allah has forbidden to kill) (i.e. to commit the crime of murdering). (4) And to give a false witness." (Sahih Bukhari)
Narrated Abu Bakra: The Prophet said thrice, "Should I inform you out the greatest of the great sins?" They said, "Yes, O Allah's Apostle!" He said, "To join others in worship with Allah and to be undutiful to one's parents." The Prophet then sat up after he had been reclining (on a pillow) and said, "And I warn you against giving a false witness, and he kept on saying that warning till we thought he would not stop. (See Hadith No. 7, Vol. 8) (Sahih Bukhari)
- why do you need to bring about 50 people to arrest Dr Asri?
- was the arrest necessary? Was he running away? Can't you take a promise from a former Mufti to appear at your office the next day to be interrogated by you on whatever offence that you were investigating?
- was there a report made to you about Dr Asri's wrongdoing BEFORE you proceeded to arrest him? Please be truthful on this. God does not like people who are liars.
- was there a reliable information about Dr Asri's wrongdoing BEFORE you proceeded to arrest him. Please also be truthful on this. God hates liars
- why weren't any of your officers at the Court the after to charge Dr Asri when he was in fact told to be present in Court the next day to answer a charge?
- what are you all going to do after this? Charge him? Or what?
- are you sure that the requirement for a "tauliah" is not repugnant to Article 10 of the Federal Constitution, which guarantees the freedom of speech and which says only the Parliament can restrict the same?
Narrated 'Abdullah bin Mas'ud: The Prophet said, "Do not wish to be like anyone except in two cases. (The first is) A person, whom Allah has given wealth and he spends it righteously; (the second is) the one whom Allah has given wisdom (the Holy Qur'an) and he acts according to it and teaches it to others."Hmmm...did the Prophet - peace be upon him - say get a license before teaching others?
(Fateh-al-Bari page 177 Vol. 1- Sahih Bukhari)
- Art Harun