His name is Mad Aris Mad Yusof.
(Note: The parliamentary seat covering the Cempaka state constituency area is called Pandan)
- Go to Captain Ahmad Yusof's "Ancient Mariner" Blog to read on ALL the followup stories on this PKFZ multi-billion ringgit scandal that have remained unanswered till today.
Excerpts: Read here for more in Malaysiakini
Mad Aris Mad Yusof was elected as State Assemblyperson in 1990 and appointed as a MPAJ councillor in 1992. He is also a member of the Hulu Langat district land committee.
UMNO State Assemblyman Mad Aris was alleged by residents to be involved in AT LEAST EIGHT(8) land scandal cases, (mostly on PUBLIC and RESERVE lands. )
In 2003, residents wrote to UMNO/BN Leadership NOT to select him for the 2004 General Election. It fell on deaf ears. Instead, he was re-selected and got elected.
"... He (Mad Aris) pushed the land committee to agree to the conversions. MPAJ is only in charge of administration and maintenance, whereas the conversion of land is always mooted by a politician.
There was no open tender, no proper documentation.
We don't know how much the private company is paying, and where does this money go?
They handle it like a SECRET SOCIETY.”
Chairperson,Taman Nirwana Phase 1 and 2 Residents' Action Committee.
Residents began to grow frustrated with Mad Aris following the 1999 polls, according to M. Thomas, Chairperson of the Residents Action Committee for Taman Nirwana Phase 1 and 2.
Thomas said over the years, resident associations in that area have separately aired their grouses to the Selangor State government and the BN leadership.
Due to the inaction of the BN/UMNO leadership, residents sent a collective memorandum to the Sultan of Selangor, Menteri Besar Dr Mohd Khir Toyo and Abdullah Badawi prior to 2004 general elections, asking them to remove Mad Aris from the list of candidates for the 2004 General Election. The memorandum was endorsed by six resident associations and NGOs based in the Pandan constituency.
But he was STILL fielded by UMNO/BN and he got elected for a fourth term.
According to M. Thomas, Mad Aris had abused his power and with the support of the state government, managed to privatise the land for personal gain.
The Eight Land Scandals Involving the UMNO Politican.
“He (Mad Aris) pushed the land committee to agree to the conversions. MPAJ is only in charge of administration and maintenance, whereas the conversion of land is always mooted by a politician.
There was NO open tender, NO proper documentation. We don't know how much the private company is paying, and where does this money go? They handle it like a secret society.”
Mad Aris is accused of abusing his power to alienate many reserve land plots in Ampang for commercial purposes.
- green belts,The land plots were alleged to be leased out to his cronies and the latter have in turn re-rented it out to other companies for a higher price.
- school reserves,
- irrigation and drainage reserves,
- road reserves, buffer zones and
- empty land.
M. Thomas, the Chairperson of the Residents Action Committee for Taman Nirwana Phase 1 and 2.who has been active in residents' associations for more than 14 years, said the commercialisation of reserve land started following the 1999 polls.
Malaysiakini compiled at least eight alleged land scandals based on information provided by local residents, gathered from memorandums and complaint letters,
1. The Millennium Curry House restaurant at Jalan Nirwana, Taman Nirwana.
2. The Light Industrial Zone located between the Middle Ring Road 2 (MRR2) and Kampung Pandan Dalam.
3. A furniture showroom 'Perabut Cempaka' at Jalan Cempaka 3, Taman Chempaka.
4. The Light Industrial Zone at Jalan Nirwana 10, Taman Nirwana.
5. The Pandan Puri Corporation plant nursery at Jalan 1, Taman Putra Sulaiman.
6. A demolished food court beside SMK Pandan Indah.
7. A driving range in Pandan Perdana and;
8. Three-storey houses in Taman Chempaka near the Star LRT station.
(Please go to Malaysiakini for further details on the above cases and for the followup story)
The residents have complained TO: MPAJ, Mad Aris himself, Selangor Menteri Besar Dr Mohd Khir Toyo, Abdullah and even the Anti-Corruption Agency.
But the issues remain UNRESOLVED.