Sunday 24 January 2010

UPDATED! Minister Ahmad Husni Hanadzlah, I Should Have Listened to My Father EARLIER, instead of Returning Back to Malaysia



here for more
Note: Datuk Seri Ahmad Husni Hanadzlah today criticised Malaysians who have emigrated, saying it was “wrong” and insinuating that they were betraying the sacrifices of their forefathers.

Husni, who is second finance minister, explained that “our forefathers” settled here because they believed that their children would have a future in Malaysia. Read here for more
Open Letter From "Ice Cream Seller" to Datuk Seri Ahmad Husni Hanadzlah, Deputy Minister of Finance, Malaysia

Dear Deputy Minister Husni

A story (true) in response to your statement about emigration by ingrates.

Sometime in 1980, when I was a final year student in London, I had a very short tele-conversation with my father. In those days, there were no call cards, Skype or the like and calls were expensive. He had a very simple message - "Don't come home, Son".

Now almost 30 years on, I see where he was coming from.

He advised me to stay on in the UK or if I found the weather not to my liking, told me to go to Australia - even if it meant that I may eventually marry a "white girl" as he put it. I was 23 and marriage was certainly not on my mind.

He was a 'pendatang'. This pendatang however secured a scholarship to study in Raffles College (the pre-cursor to the University of Malaya) and served some 30-odd years in various senior teaching positions culminating with the last few years in the Malay College (Kuala Kangsar, MCKK) .

Amongst his students - a list of past and present ministers and opposition figures.

I didn't heed his advice till last year and spent the last 28 years in Malaysia. However, it became increasingly untenable to work here without compromising my values, integrity and conscience.

Why did he advise me such? With hindsight, I saw his foresight.
  • As an educationist, he saw we were heading to be another Ceylon (from where he was sent when orphaned), Burma, Philippines and in today's scenario, Zimbabwe.

  • He saw what the outcome would be when we mess up education with politics.

  • He saw that religion would be a divisive factor in years to come (he even encouraged me to learn Jawi as a 9 year old).

  • He believed that in a country like this, mixed marriages would help cement society.

    He saw in some of our leaders of yesterday that even in their youth, they had unbridled cunning and only needed an opening to exploit that trait.

  • He saw in some of his students potential to be PM but said that would never be because they were "too smart for UMNO's liking".

  • He saw that given our racial demographics, religion would be used as a means to ensure the survival of a particular group.

  • He believed that eventually, the Malays would have a class war amongst themselves.

  • He said that even amongst the Malays, many of the English educated would opt to live away from Malaysia.

  • He told me promotions won't necessarily be given for competence. These are usually won in the Clubs (read political party today) and over a few drinks. Being a bit of an introvert myself, he encouraged me to join clubs, associations and play sports and travel.

  • He said honesty doesn't necessarily pay in this world but still better to be honest and live with dignity.
Our home was (at different times) home to 3 delinquent Chinese boys - sent by the Juvenile court. He volunteered to take them in. Add to that a few other Indian boys.

Though not my mother tongue, I spoke to my parents in Malay till I was about 10. We took in a Chinese lady injured during the war and she lived with us for about 40 years till she died. My father referred to her as his mother in law. I thought she was my grandmother even though my mother was not Chinese!!

By the late 70s and early 80s, he saw that this scenario would not likely repeat in the years to come.

When he died in 1982, we were pleasantly surprised to see some of his students (by then in their 50s) come from different states for his funeral.

One told me that it was my father that made sure he spoke flawless English and another told me how my father would bring the 6th Formers home from the hostel and used our home for dinner and to teach them social graces - including dancing (taught by my mother). Partners were arranged from the convent school with the blessings of the headmistress!!!

29 years on, I view his foresight through the same prism and now agonise as to whether I should tell my children the same.

For now, I am allowing my eldest to pursue his tertiary education overseas.

Maybe when he finishes, he may not be as shortsighted as I was. Pray God grant him wisdom and vision.

Last year, I resigned from my job, returned the company car and driver, said goodbye to my executive package and moved to Australia where I now live with no maid, no driver, no Audi 2.8, no golf, no teh tarik sessions, no bonus etc but am rediscovering humanity running a humble ice cream shop.

Sometimes we learn very late.

An ice-cream seller
Related Article

A Malay but no longer Malaysian


Read here for more

by

H. Batson

I am a Malay who has given up my Malaysian citizenship to live in another country. I have never been discriminated as a citizen of this foreign counry when it comes to job opportunities (promotions). I got to where I am not because I am a Malay but because I am good at what I do.

Prior to issuing me a certificate of good character (one of the requirements to become a citizen), I was interviewed by the Asst High Commissioner of Malaysia.

He was a nice man. He asked me this question:

Asst High Commissioner:
“Are you sure this is what you want to do?

Because it is such a shame that Malaysia will lose a professional like you.”
My reply:
"I would love to contribute to my beloved country.

However, my husband is an “orang puteh” and although he is a professional, it was impossible for him to get permanent residence in Malaysia.

You don’t make it easy for us, what more I am a woman. My husband will never get citizenship."
Asst High Commissioner:
"Yes I agree, we don’t make it easy that is why we lose so many professionals."
What more can I say.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

this politician and so called leader must chech his facts first and then talk.....not just shoot his mouth off.... our minority fore fathers may have settled here....but did so thinking it is agood place...or at least seemed so at first....but if there are here now they would be sheding tears for doing so....he and his buddies have labled the minitities as pendatang....so what is he talking about....you treat people like rubbish but expect them to say thank you to you....he needs to wake up and as they say "smell the shit he is shovelling" people will leave because of what you are practicing....multiple standards for levels of society....what our forefathers sacrificed is because they believed they were doing the right thing....unfortunately that has been hijacked by your kind....and now run by you....do not ask us to give you more....you are already rich to last 10 life times....while the poor have to toil daily for the middle class as you put it....the more we toil the more we pay in taxes....where is the gain here....so to those who are able to leave....hope we meet there soon.....

Anonymous said...

Dear ice-cream seller

It is still not too late to have a happy second childhood or should I say a second adulthood ! You have left the scum and all the associated stink behind.The vanilla and strawberry fragrances smell much better.

Welcome to Australia, OUR COUNTRY.

Anonymous said...

As a matter of principle, 'brain drain is better than brain in the drain'.Ramalx

ktteokt said...

Our Malaysian government is acting "dumb" only! They knew all along what caused this "brain drain" but they have never taken any positive steps to stop it!

Maintaining the NEP and Ketuanan Melayu are two major reasons why smart and capable Malaysians chose to leave this racist nation! Why should the people be divided into bumiputras and non-bumiputras when our current PM is pushing his 1 MALAYSIA? Najis should very well know that these two things can never come to a COMPROMISE and if this differentiation is not removed, his 1 MALAYSIA is just something as abstract as the air around us!

Just how many "smart and bright" non-Malays are willing to be led by the nose by a Bumiputra just because he is A BUMIPUTRA and not because he is more capable?