Fortress UMNO is a Myth.
The crumbling news:
- Mahathir was resigning because of a lack of confidence in the current party leadership. He told an audience of about 1,000 people on Monday, "I will write a letter to UMNO headquarters to inform that I have quit the party." He called for other party members to join him in order to force Abdullah into resigning from his post.
- Umno is preparing its own demise and that of Barisan Nasional if it continues to have Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi at the helm, former Prime Minister Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad said Thursday.He also said that his son Datuk Mukhriz, who decided against following his move to quit Umno, might face “difficulties” staying on should Abdullah continue to be the president.“Yes, Umno can consider me irrelevant. It is their funeral and not mine. Today the Barisan has been destabilised by Abdullah not being able to lead it to victory in the general election."
- Domestic Trade and Consumer Affairs Minister Datuk Shahrir Abdul Samad has lashed out at former prime minister Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad over remarks Dr Mahathir made of him.He said the former Umno president had lost his right to criticise the party he once led "because he is no longer a member".Dr Mahathir had criticised Shahrir and Tun Musa Hitam in his blog yesterday.Dr Mahathir used a Malay idiom, which is equivalent to "the pot calling the kettle black", to describe Shahrir and Musa for their criticism of him on his decision to quit Umno. He reminded Musa that he too "had been a thorn" in 1986 and 1987, accusing him of resigning as deputy prime minister and deputy party president in an effort to oust him."Such was your hatred for me that you were willing to contest as deputy president in support of your rival Tengku Razaleigh Hamzah for president. It seems you still want to topple me," he addded.
- More signs of a deepening Umno strife surfaced in the Dewan Rakyat today with controversial BN Jerlun member of Parliament Mukhriz Mahathir taking a bold swipe at fellow party member and de facto Law Minister Zaid Ibrahim.Zaid, who during his winding-up speech on the royal address, was in the midst of speaking on government’s effort to introduce judicial reform was interrupted by Mukhriz.Mukhriz proceeded to accuse Zaid as a BN minister who was more keen on implementing opposition Pakatan Rakyat’s agenda."Congratulations, minister as you have done well in realising the opposition’s goals than that of your own party," was the beginning of Mukhriz’s (right) tirade against Zaid, who is Minister in the Prime Minister’s Department for legal affairs.
- Kimanis member of parliament Anifah Aman today rejected an offer to be the chairperson of the newly revived Umno Parliamentarian Club in the Dewan Rakyat.He had previously declined to take up an appointment as a deputy minister after the March 8 general election as he was hoping for a more senior post.Coming at the heels of wide speculation that he is being enticed by the Pakatan Rakyat to defect, his decision will surely be seen as yet another blow to Prime Minister and Umno president Abdullah Ahmad Badawi.
- Minister in the Prime Minister’s Department Mohd Nazri Abdul Aziz faulted the Election Commission for the debacle over the indelible ink as the commission had not consulted the attorney-general for his advice.
Post a Comment